Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Football


Colin signed up for football this year. He went to football camp last week and practices officially started last night. They started with helmets only, but by Wednesday or Thursday they will be in full gear. Practice is 5 days a week from 6-8:15pm; they will cut back to 3 days a week once school starts in September.


It was neat to watch the practice, they did lots of drills and sprints. The coaches will do evaluations this week in order to split the kids up into teams. Vienna will probably have 6 teams in Colin's weight class. Colin did a great job. He was exhausted by the end of practice.


I spent much of my youth in Texas so football is in my blood. Football is a cornerstone of daily life in Texas--some kids start as young as 5-years-old. But, watching Colin last night was strange. Strange, in that I realized how old he is---he is a young man now, a pre-teen. I hope we are ready for this! (the man part, not the football injuries that he may get---actually, guess I better be ready for that too. You know moms have to be calm and cool, they can't flip out if their son gets hurt.)

No comments: