Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Sacrifice

Well, tomorrow starts Lent and I really struggled with what I want to give up during this season. Lent, in most Christian denominations, is the forty-day liturgical season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of a believer, through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial—for the annual commemoration of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, as celebrated during Holy Week.

I wanted to give up something that was truly a sacrifice and would be a public confession in the work place of my faith. I am not sure what your beliefs are on alcohol but I personaly enjoy a glass of wine from time to time and during most dinner meals. I decided to give alcohol up for the next 40 Days. I choose this primarly because I know people in the work place will notice that I am drinking water or soda during dinner meetings and ask. It opens a door...

Not only does it open the door but when I see others drinking, it reminds me of my commitment and Christ's sacrifice.

~David

No comments: